Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Episode 77

me: Central Scheduling, how can I help you?

pt: I need to schedule an MRI appointment.

me: I have your account pulled up here and don't see any orders have been received yet. 

pt: I don't have one.

me: Did someone tell you that you needed an MRI?

pt: I can't just come in and get an MRI? I just want a whole-body scan to see how I'm doing.

me: A doctor has to write an order first before they can do an MRI. The techs and radiologists need to know what the doctor is looking for and then which part of the body needs to be scanned.

pt: So, what if I want my whole body? My arms hurt, head, back, feet. The whole thing!

me: Then you'd have to talk with the doctor about what exactly is bothering you so they can specify which part of the body needs to be scanned and then send the order over to us. If you need a whole-body scan, there may even be a different test the doctor wants to perform because MRIs are localized to one area.

pt: I'm coming in to the ER tonight anyway, I'll just ask for a scan then.

me: Coming to the ER?

pt: Yeah, I need my annual physical so I am coming to the ER like I usually do. Last time the nurses told me to find a primary care doctor but the ER is just much easier. They gave me a number to call but I threw it away. I don't need that, I got the ER.



No comments:

Post a Comment